Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Wait

Some of the most precious times in life are ones of waiting. 

Engagement.

Pregnancy.

These are times when we can abandon ourselves to lofty dreams, or succumb to fear.  Or, if we place ourselves within the protective palm of our loving Father's hand, we can rest in a peaceful anticipation, trusting in the knowledge that though we don't know what is to come, He does.  And He will carry us through.

It is with this perspective that I embark upon this Advent.  The Wait is upon us, and though I am sure busy-ness and bedlam is likely to rear its head frequently as we navigate these weeks, I will seek wholeheartedly to do His will, and keep my eyes on the Child for Whom we wait. 

And so it will be the fruits of the Spirit that I try to cultivate more deeply in my being this Advent. 

I will dwell not on the perfect Christmas tree, but on charity. 
I will seek not compliments on my cuisine, but joy in the coming of the Lord. 
I will aim to cultivate a home not of grandeur, but of peace. 
I will give more thought to exercising patience,  than to exercising my body into a smaller dress. 
And while kindness pours forth easily from me toward store clerks and school personnel, I will endeavor to pour kindness upon my family always. 
May my goals reflect the goodness of the Great Good I believe in, so that when people see me, they see Him. 
And may I bestow generosity on the needy, rather than juggle my budget to satisfy my wants.
 Oh, gentleness, gentleness, how I need to hear you take over my voice and the motions of my swift moving hands and feet, trying to get so much done.  Slow me down and sweeten my gestures.
And may I obey in all faithfulness the will of the Lord. 
May modesty regulate my dress, and eliminate my boasting.
May chastity flower in my marriage, as we place ourselves beneath the Lord's guidance, seeking to do His will in our marriage.
And self-control will be my primary goal, for all else depends upon it, doesn't it?

A blessed Advent to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment